Recently the weather in Illinois has been very hot and humid. I have been working out a lot for preseason, and have to be careful about staying hydrated.
Here are some tips and tricks that I found helpful:
1) Always carry a water bottle and sip on it throughout the day. If you are ever thirsty it means you have not been drinking enough.
2) When exercising mix water and Gatorade (or a similar sports drink) to get the added electrolytes.
3) Try to avoid alcohol and coffee.
4) Eat lots of fruit yum!
5) After workouts drink chocolate milk (Yes, it’s actually recommended to help refuel muscles!)
6) Make sure to get enough potassium (dried fruit, nuts, orange juice).
7) You can also weigh yourself before and after a workout. For every pound lost drink 3 cups of fluid.
I hope you found these tips helpful, and remember natural flavorings are a good option if you ever get bored with plain old water and want to switch things up.
Have you ever had problems staying hydrated? What do you do to hydrate before or after a workout? How do you stay refreshed during hot summer days? Share you comments below!